At DanumHost we take security very seriously which is why all hosting accounts are scanned for malware and virus everyday although we cannot check everything all of the time.
WordPress is a powerful CMS system which can enable you to make just about any website you would like.
The downside to this hackers and organisations know this also and will try anything to take your website down, add virus and malware tools to affect your website viewers and customers as well as attempt to steal valuable data.
To help prevent this we advise installing additional security on your WordPress website and from that we recommend the WordFence plugin which can be installed direct from your WordPress Installation.
To install this simply follow the below instructions;
- Login to your WordPress hosting account.
- Goto Plugins located on the left hand side
- Go to Add New
- In the search bar towards the top right type in "WordFence"
- WordFence should be the first one to appear in the list.
- Click Install
- Once installed Click on Activate
- Once activated go to the plugin located on the bottom left of the screen
- You will be asked to add your email address which will send you notifications if there are any issues with your site and give more information relating to this
- At the top activate added protection. This will make you download the .htaccess file as a backup and then make changes to improve the firewall security on your site
- Once this has been done click on scan on the bottom left and perform a scan. As this is a new installation of WordPress this should come back saying everything is ok. If you have installed WordFence into an older version of WordPress for example a site which has been running for more than a week then you may get a few issues with this popping up although this will also tell you what and where the issue is.
If you would like assistance with any of this please feel free to contact a member of the team who will be more than happy to assist.